Comprehensive car insurance is also known as fully comp insurance and is one of the highest levels of cover you can get in terms of car insurance.
It includes cover for third-party only and third-party, fire and theft but it also includes cover for any damage to your own car as well. If you experience an accident that was your fault for example, then you should still be able to make a claim on your insurance (something that you can’t do with other types of car insurance).
In this guide you’ll learn everything there is to know about comprehensive car insurance, and why you should consider investing in it for your vehicle.
As it is the highest level of car insurance cover you can get, it’s safe to say that it will offer you a range of cover for a plethora of different possibilities.
While it may be the highest level of cover you can get, it is also the most expensive type of cover, and can cost you hundreds of pounds a year. It’s worth making the investment however, as if you experience an accident that was deemed to be your fault, you can still make a claim on your insurance policy.
With other types of car insurance such as third-party only and third-party, fire and theft, you won’t be covered for such eventualities.
It provides you with an added level of cover and protection, so you can rest-assured that you won’t have to pay out thousands for repairs to damages caused by an accident, even if it was your fault.
As with any type of insurance, it’s important to remember to properly shop around when looking to purchase comprehensive car insurance. Make sure you spend time comparing quotes from different providers so that you can ensure you get the best comprehensive cover for your money.
While each insurance provider will differ slightly in exactly what you’ll be covered for, comprehensive car insurance generally follows very similar guidelines between every insurer.
With fully comprehensive car insurance, you can expect to be covered for the following:
- Courtesy cars if your car is currently being repaired
- Damage to your car caused by fire
- Theft and vandalism
- Windscreen repairs
- Accidental damage
- Personal injuries that occur to someone else as a result of an incident or accident that are deemed to be your fault
As you can see, fully comprehensive car insurance can ensure that you’re covered for a whole manner of possibilities and incidents.
Despite it being the most thorough and comprehensive type of car insurance you can get, there are still a few things that it might not cover you for under your policy.
- If you or someone else puts the wrong type of fuel into your car, then you won’t be covered for the cost of repairs
- If you’re driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and you experience an incident or accident, then a comprehensive policy won’t cover you for the costs incurred
- If you drive without a valid driving licence
- Failure to properly secure your vehicle; while there isn’t always much you can do about your car being broken into or stolen, if your insurance provider finds that you’ve neglected to properly secure your car (such as leaving it unlocked or having the windows down overnight) then you won’t be able to make a claim on your policy
- General wear and tear
While it may be the most expensive type of car insurance, fully comprehensive car insurance will ensure that you’ll fully covered and protected if you experience the likes of third-party mishaps, fire or theft.
What’s more, however, is that it will also cover you for any repairs required on your own car as a result of an incident or accident that was your fault. Third-party only and third-party, fire and theft policies are by no means unsuitable types of car insurance policies; in fact, they can sometimes be more expensive than comprehensive cover as some drivers with these policies are more likely to make a claim.
This is because they’re considered to be statistically more at risk of making a claim on their car insurance policy.
However, if you wish to be fully covered and protected as part of your car insurance policy, then comprehensive car insurance is the ideal type of cover for you.