One of the greatest advantages of getting older and reaching retirement age is that you’ll have more freedom and opportunity to travel and go on holiday.
Having said that, if you do plan to travel more in your 60s, then you need to make sure you have suitable travel insurance that will cover you for every eventuality.
Below you can find a table of the best providers of travel insurance for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions.
|Travel insurance provider||Maximum medical cover||Cover options||Maximum cancellation cover|
|Aviva||£10 million||Pre-existing medical conditions, baggage, cancellation||£5,000|
|Explorer||£10 million||Pre-existing medical conditions, baggage, cancellation||£5,000|
|Staysure||£10 million||Pre-existing medical conditions, baggage, cancellation||£15,000|
|All Clear||£15 million||Pre-existing medical conditions, baggage, cancellation||£25,000|
|Emerald Life||£10 million||Pre-existing medical conditions, baggage, cancellation||£5,000|
A travel insurance policy for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions with Aviva is sure to be an excellent choice as you can benefit from a vast range of advantages.
When you take out your over 60s travel insurance plan with Aviva, you can enjoy an online discount of 10% when you buy your policy online.
Vast range of cover options
With Aviva travel insurance, you’ll be covered for a vast range of things including cancellations, delayed baggage, emergency medical treatment, plus so much more.
- Online discount
- Single & multi-trip cover up until age 79
- Not covered for missed connections that are your fault
Aviva are a great choice for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions as they can offer you cover on many things.
Explorer can offer you a fantastic range of cover for the likes of delayed baggage, pre-existing medical conditions and holiday cancellations.
Single, multi-trip or cruise cover
Whatever your travel insurance needs, Explorer can provide you with the right cover to suit you.
Whether you’re going on one holiday a year, or you’re embarking on a long cruise, you can be assured that you’ll have the right cover for your needs.
Over 60s medical conditions cover
As well as the likes of backpacker and winter sports cover, you can also benefit from Explorer’s medical cover for over 60s so that you can enjoy your trip without worrying about your insurance.
- No upper age limit
- Cover for various trips and excursions
- Only £5,000 maximum cancellation cover
Explorer can offer you great rates, deals and features when you take out travel insurance for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions with them.
Staysure are a firm favourite amongst older travellers when it comes to travel insurance as they provide an award-winning service at incredibly competitive prices.
UK’s No.1 travel insurance
As announced by Trustpilot, Staysure were voted as the UK’s number one for travel insurance, as well as winning multiple other awards for their outstanding services and travel insurance.
Two types of policy
Staysure offer two types of policy to choose from; their single trip and annual travel insurance.
This means you can choose the type of policy that will best suit your needs.
- 24/7 medical emergency helpline
- 1 most trusted travel insurance by Moneywise 2018
- Cover for winter sports and cruises will cost extra
Staysure are experts in providing travel insurance for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions; they’ll offer you the most comprehensive cover available for your budget.
All Clear are one of the best travel insurance providers for over 60s as they offer incredible discounts and some of the best features in the business.
£25,000 cancellation cover
When you take out an insurance policy with All Clear, you can expect to benefit from up to £25,000 of maximum cancellation cover which is actually the most comprehensive out of all the providers in this guide!
On selected All Clear products, you can receive a discount of 5%; while it’s not much, it can help you to save money when buying your travel insurance policy.
- Up to £15 million medical cover
- 24/7 medical emergency helpline
- Discount is only 5% – not as much as some other providers
All Clear are a leading specialist in travel insurance for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions; they’ve helped over 2.5 million people with their travel insurance policies!
Emerald Life may be considered to be one of the less popular travel insurance providers but they’re not to be overlooked as they offer truly incredible travel insurance for over 60s.
1,000s medical conditions covered
Emerald Life will cover you for over 1000 medical conditions; many of them at no extra cost so you can rest-assured that you’ll be covered for whatever condition you may have.
24 hour helpline
If you require any type of assistance while you’re on holiday, you’ll be able to take advantage of Emerald Life’s 24 hour assistance helpline.
- 24 hour helpline
- 1,000s medical conditions covered
- Optional extras can be expensive
Emerald Life are definitely an insurer that you should consider for your over 60s travel insurance as they can provide excellent cover to suit your needs.
When it comes to obtaining travel insurance for over 60s, you need to consider a number of things to make sure you get the most out of your policy. From your medical history, to the medication you take, plus much more.
Information you need to provide
When you opt for a travel insurance provider who specialise in cover for pre-existing medical conditions, there are a few key pieces of information that you need to provide them with.
- Names of all your medical conditions (past and present), including;
- Heart conditions or diseases
- Blood clots
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Anxiety or depression
- Whether you’re waiting for test results after surgery or treatment for an undiagnosed condition
- If you’ve received advice or treatment for any serious injury or illness
- What medication you’re currently taking
What to consider if you require travel insurance for over 60s with pre-existing medical conditions
With all the excitement of going on holiday, it can often be easy to forget the important step of making sure you have the correct level of travel insurance.
Below, you can find a mini checklist of all the things you should consider when looking into a travel insurance policy for over 60s.
- The length of your holiday – will you require single trip, annual multi-trip, winter sports or cruise cover?
- If you have valid home insurance – if you’re going on holiday for a long period of time, you’ll need to make sure that you also have valid home insurance as well as travel insurance so that your home is fully covered while you’re away
- What type of cover you’ll need – depending on the type of holiday you’re going on, you’ll need to make sure you’ve got the right type of cover to suit your activities while on holiday.
- You may need to purchase optional extra add-ons such as winter sports or golf cover if you know you’ll be doing this while away
- Your destination – oftentimes, travel insurance for over 60s is cheaper if you’re travelling to places in Europe as opposed to longer haul destinations. Medical care in the likes of the USA and the Caribbean can be more expensive so make sure to look out for different providers and how their policies vary between countries
What’s usually covered?
While there’s not necessarily a set guide of everything that every travel insurance provider will offer, there are some general things that most policies will cover you for:
- Medication – if you need it replacing due to it being stolen, lost or misplaced
- Emergency treatment costs
- Medical equipment such as wheelchairs or walking aids
- No upper age limits
- Travel companions (not every provider will offer this but it’s a good feature to look out for when comparing quotes)
What’s not usually covered?
Again, the types of things that travel insurance covers you for differs from each and every provider but there are a few things that you can expect to not be covered for, including:
- Undisclosed medical conditions – if you suffer from a pre-existing condition but fail to let your provider know and then suffer from it while you’re away, your claim may be deemed as invalid if you failed to declare it beforehand
- Activities that you haven’t declared – while you might not know exactly what you plan to do on holiday, it’s important to let your provider know of any activities such as scuba diving or kayaking that you’re planning to do while on holiday to ensure you’re covered in every eventuality
- Substance abuse – if you make a claim but you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs when an incident or accident occurred, then your claim could be deemed as invalid
- Reckless behaviour – similarly to the point above; if you were being reckless while an incident occurred then your claim may not be valid
- Undeclared belongings – if you try and claim for something that’s missing or stolen while on holiday that’s valuable, but you didn’t actually declare it in the first place, then you probably won’t be covered for it
There’s a lot of things to remember and take into account when purchasing an over 60s travel insurance policy with pre-existing medical conditions.
Make sure you’ve disclosed all the relevant information to your insurance provider and that you’ve fully compared quotes from a number of insurers to make sure that you get the best possible policy for your needs.