If you’re over 50 and currently suffer from a medical condition, then you need to look out for travel insurance that will ensure you’re fully covered before your trip.
It’s important to make sure you’ve got fully comprehensive travel insurance, regardless of your age or medical status, but when you do suffer from a medical condition then it’s imperative to make sure your travel insurance provider is aware.
Take a look at the table below which includes a list of the best travel insurance providers for over 50s with medical conditions.
|Travel insurance provider||Maximum cancellation cover||Maximum annual cover||Maximum medical cover||Maximum single trip cover|
|Explorer||£5,000||45 days per trip||£10 million||365 days|
|Justtravelcover||£12,500||93 days per trip||£15 million||365 days|
|Aviva||£5,000||31 days per trip||£10 million||120 days|
|Virgin Money||£7,500||90 days per trip||Unlimited||365 days|
|Flexicover||£2,000||31 days per trip||£10 million||100 days|
Explorer travel insurance can offer you a vast range of policies including single trip, annual and cruise cover, for your convenience.
365 days maximum single trip cover
One of the best things about Explorer is that you can get over 50s single trip travel insurance cover for up to 365 days.
If you’ve got a long trip planned, then Explorer will be an excellent choice for you.
Range of cover
Explorer also have a great range of cover options available, including single, annual, cruise and winter sports cover.
- 365 days of cover for single trip
- No maximum age limit
- Maximum cancellation cover only £5,000
Explorer can ensure that you get excellent over 50s travel insurance for those with medical conditions; which is great news if you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition.
This particular travel insurance provider is one of the best for over 50s with medical conditions as they can offer a number of excellent benefits to take advantage of.
Incredible maximum cancellation cover
Justtravelcover offer one of the very best maximum cancellation covers in the market for travel insurance for over 50s.
You can expect up to £12,500 in maximum cancellation cover fees.
£15 million medical cover
Another great feature of over 50s travel insurance with Justtravelcover is that they can offer up to £15 million in emergency medical cover while you’re on holiday.
- Great features to enjoy
- Online discounts often available
- 24/7 advice helpline not available; only certain times of the day
Justtravelcover are a great choice for travel insurance for over 50s with medical conditions as they have large maximum limits when it comes to pay outs for claims.
Aviva is one of the leading providers in a vast range of types of insurance, and their travel insurance for over 50s is no exception.
10% online discount
When purchasing your travel insurance for over 50s with medical conditions from Aviva, you can benefit from their 10% off online offer.
This means you can ensure you’re covered for your holiday and save money too!
Single and annual trip cover
Choose from a selection of comprehensive single or annual multi-trip cover when you take out a travel insurance policy with Aviva.
- Emergency cover of up to £10 million
- Cover for travel documents and money
- Only 31 days per trip of annual cover
Aviva will be able to ensure that you’re fully covered in the event of an accident or emergency while you’re on holiday if you take out an over 50s travel insurance policy with them.
Virgin Money are an incredibly reputable brand within the industry, known for their impeccable services, excellent offers and incredible customer service.
Their travel insurance for over 50s is also one of the best in the business.
Four levels of cover
In order to offer you the most value for your money, Virgin Money offer a range of four different levels of cover; red, silver, gold and black.
Each of these types of cover offer extensive cover to ensure that you’ll be protected in every eventuality.
If you’re looking to truly make the most of your over 50s travel insurance with medical conditions, you can utilise Virgin’s optional extras features.
You can add the likes of winter sports and golf cover to your over 50s policy with Virgin Money.
- 24/7 emergency medical assistance helpline
- Cover for medical and hospital emergencies
- Have to make a claim online
If you’re looking for travel insurance that will offer you the chance to choose from a fully comprehensive range of cover then Virgin Money will be an excellent option for you.
Flexicover have over 30 years’ experience in selling travel insurance to their loyal customers so you know you’re in the best hands when you take out an over 50s policy with them.
No upper age limit
The single trip policies from Flexicover come with a no upper age limit guarantee, so regardless of your age, you can enjoy your holiday with their single trip cover.
Flexicover also offer multi-trip policies up to the age of 85, with medical conditions included.
2,000 medical conditions covered
One of the most comprehensive types of cover in the business; Flexicover can offer you over 50s travel insurance on over 2,000 medical conditions so you can rest-assured you’ll be fully protected while on holiday.
- 10% off when you subscribe to their newsletter
- Free cover on over 120 sports activities
- Advice helplines are not open 24/7
Flexicover are a great choice for over 50s with medical conditions as they can provide travel insurance for over 2,000 medical conditions.
Even if you have a medical condition, you will still be able to obtain travel insurance from certain providers, as long as you ensure that you disclose all the conditions that you suffer from.
There’s also a number of other things you should be aware when purchasing travel insurance with medical conditions.
What counts as a medical condition?
Medical conditions class as those that you’ve sought medical advice for and have been receiving treatment or medication for; otherwise known as pre-existing.
Some examples of types of medical conditions that you need to declare include:
- Heart disease/conditions
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Non-physical conditions such as depression or anxiety
- Pregnancy – while it’s not classed as a ‘medical condition’, you should still make your provider aware if you’re pregnant
Of course, it will depend on the insurance provider that you opt for, but there are a few things that will happen during your travel insurance application process.
You’ll be asked to fully disclose all of your medical history, as well as any medication or treatment that you’re currently taking. While there’ll be lots of questions about your medical history and current treatments, you won’t be required to take a medical test in order for a provider to determine whether you’re suitable for their type of cover.
While you may feel slightly uncomfortable talking about all the conditions you suffer from, it’s imperative to ensure that you’re provided with the necessary cover.
You’re also not absolutely guaranteed to be accepted for travel insurance, but you can expect one of the following from your insurer:
- An offer of cover on standard terms
- Refusal of cover due to a specific medical condition
- Cover with other restrictions or special terms
- Cover with a higher excess due to your increased risk
- Cover for your medical condition, but with an increased premium
- Refusal to cover you at all
Whatever your travel insurance provider decides, it’s important that you have travel insurance when going on holiday, so if your application is declined, you’ll need to apply for another one with a different provider.
What to consider with over 50s travel insurance
Travel insurance for over 50s usually contains the same level of cover that regular insurance covers, but you can expect to pay slightly more if you suffer from a medical condition as you’ll be deemed as more at risk of suffering from an accident or illness while on holiday.
Here’s a few things that you should take into consideration when taking out an over 50s travel insurance policy with a medical condition.
- The length of your trip – one of the most important things you’ll need to consider is how long you’re planning to travel for so that you can determine whether you need single trip or annual multi-trip travel insurance
- Your valuables – chances are, that you’re going to be taking a few valuables away with you such as a smart phone and camera, so you must ensure that your travel insurance of choice covers you for these types of gadgets
- Your planned activities – even if you plan on having a more relaxed holiday, you’re still likely to take part in a few activities while you’re away. This means you need to think about the activities you plan on doing such as scuba diving and hiking so that you can get travel insurance that covers you for these activities
The excitement of going holiday never wears off, whether you’re 5 or 50 years old. However, amongst all the excitement, you must remember to check off a few things before you depart for your holiday:
- Make sure you have a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance) card if you’re travelling to a European country so that you’re fully covered
- Ensure your home insurance is valid before you go so that you can rest-assured that your home is protected while you’re away on holiday
- Purchase your travel insurance in plenty of time so that you’re covered in case you need to cancel your trip before you even go
- Collect all your travel documentation together so that you can be prepared in the event that you need to contact your provider or make a claim
Travelling is something that should be enjoyed by people of all ages, regardless of their health status. If you are over 50 however, it’s important to make sure that you’ve got the necessary travel insurance, especially if you suffer from medical conditions.
There are plenty of providers to choose from when it comes to finding the right travel insurance, so make sure you compare quotes and offers from various providers to make sure you’ve got the right level of cover for you; especially if you have a medical condition.