Home Insurance for Extended Holidays - Best Money Saver

14th November 2018by Joanna White

Everyone loves a holiday; regardless of whether you’re just going for a couple of days or you’re planning on a month long adventure, there are always so many new places to explore and discover.

However, one of the most important things that you need to remember whenever you’re going away is that your home is fully protected while you’re not there.

In this guide, you’ll find plenty of useful advice all about home insurance for extended holidays.

What you need to know

There are a number of factors to consider when thinking about purchasing home insurance for extended holidays. You want to make sure your home is fully protected at all times, no matter how long you’re travelling for.

What’s covered?

The cover that’s offered by your provider will differ from each and every home insurance provider as they’ll all offer slightly different things.

However, most of them will offer a policy that covers you for:

  • Storm, flood or fire damage – if damage is caused as a result of storm or flood while away, you’ll be covered
  • Theft or attempted theft – if someone breaks into your home while you’re away
  • Vandalism – if criminal damage is caused to your home while you’re not there
  • Legal expenses – if you need to pay to remove trespassers or squatters from your home while you’ve been away
  • Burst pipes or leakages – if a pipe bursts while your home is unoccupied

Who is unoccupied home insurance for?

Unoccupied home insurance is suitable for a number of people and there are a number of reasons why a home or building may be left empty for an extended period of time, such as:

  • You’re travelling for an extended period of time
  • You’ve bought the house but haven’t moved in yet due to redecorating
  • It’s not your main place of residence; just a holiday home

What is the cost of home insurance for extended holidays?

The cost of extended holiday home insurance varies massively based on a number of reasons, including:

  • Value of property
  • The location of the property
  • Security of the home/building
  • Level of coverage that you wish to buy

When you’re planning a trip for an extended amount of time, you’re not likely to forget to buy the likes of travel insurance, however, home insurance is something that people often forget about when they’re away.

It may surprise you to know that most home insurance providers don’t cover you if you’re away from your home for a long period of time. Therefore, it’s imperative to make sure you have a home insurance policy that covers you for an extended holiday that will last between 3 and 12 months.

Short term or long term coverage?

One of the most important questions to think about when considering your home insurance for extended holidays is whether you require short term or long term coverage.

Many insurance providers won’t cover you if your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days so it’s imperative to think about how long you need your home to be covered for.

Long term home insurance for extended holidays can vary between 30, 60 or 90 days; some policies may even last up to a year!

Unoccupied home insurance will cost more than your standard policy because you will be covered for a lot more. With an unoccupied home, you may be more prone to theft or criminal damage.

The difference between vacant and unoccupied?

There isn’t really a huge significant difference between vacant and unoccupied but when it comes to claiming on your home insurance for an extended period of time, you can expect to be asked a number of questions to qualify whether your home was vacant or unoccupied.

Vacant or unoccupied?

The term vacant is considered to be “when something is without content or occupant”. This means a home with furniture, but no occupant is considered to be unoccupied, not vacant.

A vacant home would be one with no furniture or no belongings inside, but still somewhere that the homeowner owns (but may not have been living for a period of time).

When it comes to claiming on your home insurance for an extended holiday therefore, you must be clear as to whether your home is/was vacant or unoccupied.

Best extended holiday home insurance providers

We like to ensure you’re well equipped with all the necessary knowledge that’s required to make a well-informed decision about the best home insurance provider for you. Take a look below to find some of the best extended holiday home insurance providers in the market.

Provider Maximum buildings cover Maximum contents cover Inoccupancy period
  • £1,550,000
  • £100,000
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • £10,000,000
  • £65,000
  • N/A



i4me is a leading provider and specialist in unoccupied home insurance for varying periods of time.

Short and long term policies

This home insurance provider offers various policies ranging from 3, 6, 9 or 12 months, so you can rest-assured you’ll be covered for long periods of time.

24/7 support

i4me is great as they provide policies and a claims system that is completely hassle free. Their claims line is also open 24/7 so you can always get access to support and advice should you require it.


Schofields are industry experts in extended holidays and holiday home insurance.

Unlimited cover

One incredible selling point of Schofields insurance is that you’ll benefit from unlimited buildings and contents cover so you can rest-assured that your home and all your belongings will be protected.

Over 30 years of service

Schofields have also been providing thousands of people with home insurance policies for over 30 years so they’re well established within the industry.


Discount Insurance provide a whole wealth of different types of insurance including pet, landlord and even student insurance! They’re well known for their great extended holiday home insurance too.

Flexible payment options

With discount, you can benefit from flexible payment options that are suited to you, so you can tailor your repayments so that they work for you.

Add-ons available

You also have the option to purchase add-ons to your policy such as emergency home insurance cover so that you’re covered for every eventuality.

Conclusion – home insurance for extended holidays

In summation, there are a lot of things to remember and consider with regards to home insurance for extended holidays. You need to be fully aware of everything that your insurance policy covers in the event of an incident such as theft or water leakage.

Remember to carefully consider your insurance policy and see which will give you the best cover for an extended period of time if you’re planning to be away from your home for a while.