Insurance Guides

14th November 2018

by Chloe Dickenson

According to the DVLA, there are over 20 million over 50s drivers with full driving licenses in 2018. This means that despite having probably driven for a number of years now, the over 50s are still driving in their masses!

One important thing to note however, is that car insurance can dramatically change for over 50s, often for a number of different reasons. There is also an abundance of car insurance providers for over 50s.

Take a look below to see the top five car insurance providers for over 50s.

Over 50s car insurance provider Cover available Policy types Discounts
Aviva ·         Courtesy car

·         Windscreen

·         Comprehensive ·         20% online, no claims and multi car
Direct Line ·         Courtesy car

·         Windscreen

·         Comprehensive

·         Third party, fire and theft

·         No claims and multi car
Admiral ·         Courtesy car

·         Windscreen

·         Comprehensive ·         No claims and multi car
By Miles ·         Courtesy car

·         Windscreen

·         Comprehensive ·         No claims
Insure Daily ·         Short term cover ·         Temporary ·         N/A



Aviva is one of the industry’s leading insurance providers across a vast range of policies including home, car and pet insurance.

Save up to 20% online

With Aviva car insurance for over 50s, you can save up to 20% when you buy your policy online!

24/7 claims helpline available

If you need to make a claim with Aviva, then you can rest-assured that you’ll always be able to get hold of one of their claims team experts.


  • 5 star rating
  • Uninsured driver promise
  • No claims and multi car discounts
  • Comprehensive policy type
  • 20% off online

Direct Line

Direct Line are yet another immensely popular insurance provider in the industry who provide excellent policies for over 50s.

Types of cover

One of Direct Line’s main selling points is that they offer various types of car insurance cover including comprehensive, third party, fire and theft.

Optional extras

With Direct Line car insurance for over 50s, there are a number of additional extras that you can choose to add to your policy. These include no claims discount, breakdown cover and guaranteed hire car cover.


  • Multi car insurance
  • Black box insurance
  • Comprehensive car insurance
  • Guaranteed car hire
  • No claims discount


Admiral has been voted as the ‘Best Car Insurance Provider’ for the 5th year running at the Personal Finance Awards; this just goes to show that they’re an ideal option for your over 50s car insurance!

Incredible benefits

Admiral car insurance can offer many benefits as standard when you take out a policy with them. Enjoy benefits such as windscreen repair, courtesy car and European cover.

Expert and industry-leading providers

Over the last 25 years that Admiral have been operating as a car insurance provider, they have sold over 15 million policies. You can rest-assured that they’ll take of you when taking out your over 50s policy.


  • Voted as ‘Best Car Insurance Provider’
  • 5 star Defaqto rated
  • Excellent customer service
  • 24 hour emergency helpline
  • Windscreen repair and European cover

By Miles

By Miles are one of the most unique car insurance providers in that they provide a pay-by-mile concept for their insurance holders.

Capped mileage costs

One great thing about By Miles is that they offer a mileage cap system whereby if you travel for more than 150 miles in one day, you’ll be capped at that price.

Extra bonuses

By Miles don’t charge you for No Claims Discount; something which a lot of other providers don’t do!


  • 5 star Defaqto rated
  • Capped mileage costs
  • Their own ‘Car Medic’ app
  • Easy to manage
  • No claims discount as standard

Insure Daily

Insure Daily offers temporary car insurance should you need it and covers drivers from age 19 all the way to age 75!

Excellent cover available

With Insure Daily, you’ll be covered for damage to your vehicle as a result of an accident, fire, theft and vandalism as well as plenty of other things.

Easy to use interface

When taking out an over 50s car insurance policy with Insure Daily, you can enjoy the ease of use when it comes to buying online.


  • Online comprehensive cover
  • Cover for age 19 to age 75
  • Temporary car insurance
  • Easy to purchase online
  • Great cover

All the above car insurance providers can help you to find your perfect policy if you’re over 50 and still driving.

What you need to know

When it comes to over 50s car insurance policies, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Is car insurance cheaper for over 50s?

Car insurance is quite often cheaper for over 50s; as you are generally a more experienced driver if you’re over 50, you can often benefit from cheaper car insurance.

Car insurance providers such as Aviva and Admiral may reward you for many years of careful driving with a cheaper car insurance quote.

Will my health affect my insurance policy?

Your health shouldn’t affect your insurance policy too much, but it is imperative to be completely transparent with your insurance provider, as well as the DVLA.

You must make them aware of any existing medical conditions that you have, so that they can assign your insurance policy accordingly. While there are many factors that insurance providers use to calculate your insurance policy price, age is just one of them and it’s not necessarily considered to be the ultimate deciding factor.

Do I need a specific older driver policy?

Although you’re not actually required to choose a specific older driver policy, there are often more benefits to enjoy if you do opt for a specific policy.

Some providers may include policy benefits such as no upper age limits, courtesy cars and emergency driver cover.

How to keep the cost of your insurance down

When it comes to keeping the cost of your car insurance down, there are a number of things you can do to save as much money as possible.

Keep an eye on your mileage

Whenever you go for a new insurance policy, your provider will ask you for your average annual mileage (this is yet another deciding factor in your policy price).

You should set this figure as low as you realistically can, but it’s important to be accurate as if you significantly go over your annual mileage that you stated, you could find that your insurance policy is void.

If you keep an eye on your mileage, and don’t exceed your stated figure too much, then you can find yourself saving money on the cost of your insurance.

Keep your car secure

This may seem like a fairly obvious point to make but keeping your car incredibly secure will cut the cost of your premium for your car insurance.

Keep your car locked at all times, park it in a secure place at night and consider investing in a good security alarm system to deter burglars and vandals.

Pay in full

One way to keep the cost of your insurance down is to pay in full upfront. Oftentimes, you may be charged interest if you pay in instalments over the course of the year, so it’s a good idea to pay upfront to avoid these extra unnecessary charges.

Consider increasing your voluntary excess

On the other hand, increasing your voluntary excess could result in a cheaper monthly premium for your car insurance. However, it’s imperative that you’re still able to pay the compulsory excess set by your insurance provider, as well as your chosen voluntary excess in case you need to make a claim.

Conclusion – over 50s car insurance

There are lots of things to remember when taking out car insurance for over 50s. With so many insurance providers competing for your business, it can be hard to know which one is the best option for you.

Make sure you carry out all the necessary research so that you’re well prepared when it comes to taking out an over 50s car insurance policy.

14th November 2018

by Chloe Dickenson

Everyone loves a holiday; regardless of whether you’re just going for a couple of days or you’re planning on a month long adventure, there are always so many new places to explore and discover.

However, one of the most important things that you need to remember whenever you’re going away is that your home is fully protected while you’re not there.

In this guide, you’ll find plenty of useful advice all about home insurance for extended holidays.

What you need to know

There are a number of factors to consider when thinking about purchasing home insurance for extended holidays. You want to make sure your home is fully protected at all times, no matter how long you’re travelling for.

What’s covered?

The cover that’s offered by your provider will differ from each and every home insurance provider as they’ll all offer slightly different things.

However, most of them will offer a policy that covers you for:

  • Storm, flood or fire damage – if damage is caused as a result of storm or flood while away, you’ll be covered
  • Theft or attempted theft – if someone breaks into your home while you’re away
  • Vandalism – if criminal damage is caused to your home while you’re not there
  • Legal expenses – if you need to pay to remove trespassers or squatters from your home while you’ve been away
  • Burst pipes or leakages – if a pipe bursts while your home is unoccupied

Who is unoccupied home insurance for?

Unoccupied home insurance is suitable for a number of people and there are a number of reasons why a home or building may be left empty for an extended period of time, such as:

  • You’re travelling for an extended period of time
  • You’ve bought the house but haven’t moved in yet due to redecorating
  • It’s not your main place of residence; just a holiday home

What is the cost of home insurance for extended holidays?

The cost of extended holiday home insurance varies massively based on a number of reasons, including:

  • Value of property
  • The location of the property
  • Security of the home/building
  • Level of coverage that you wish to buy

When you’re planning a trip for an extended amount of time, you’re not likely to forget to buy the likes of travel insurance, however, home insurance is something that people often forget about when they’re away.

It may surprise you to know that most home insurance providers don’t cover you if you’re away from your home for a long period of time. Therefore, it’s imperative to make sure you have a home insurance policy that covers you for an extended holiday that will last between 3 and 12 months.

Short term or long term coverage?

One of the most important questions to think about when considering your home insurance for extended holidays is whether you require short term or long term coverage.

Many insurance providers won’t cover you if your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days so it’s imperative to think about how long you need your home to be covered for.

Long term home insurance for extended holidays can vary between 30, 60 or 90 days; some policies may even last up to a year!

Unoccupied home insurance will cost more than your standard policy because you will be covered for a lot more. With an unoccupied home, you may be more prone to theft or criminal damage.

The difference between vacant and unoccupied?

There isn’t really a huge significant difference between vacant and unoccupied but when it comes to claiming on your home insurance for an extended period of time, you can expect to be asked a number of questions to qualify whether your home was vacant or unoccupied.

Vacant or unoccupied?

The term vacant is considered to be “when something is without content or occupant”. This means a home with furniture, but no occupant is considered to be unoccupied, not vacant.

A vacant home would be one with no furniture or no belongings inside, but still somewhere that the homeowner owns (but may not have been living for a period of time).

When it comes to claiming on your home insurance for an extended holiday therefore, you must be clear as to whether your home is/was vacant or unoccupied.

Best extended holiday home insurance providers

We like to ensure you’re well equipped with all the necessary knowledge that’s required to make a well-informed decision about the best home insurance provider for you. Take a look below to find some of the best extended holiday home insurance providers in the market.

Provider Maximum buildings cover Maximum contents cover Inoccupancy period
  • £1,550,000
  • £100,000
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • Unlimited
  • £10,000,000
  • £65,000
  • N/A



i4me is a leading provider and specialist in unoccupied home insurance for varying periods of time.

Short and long term policies

This home insurance provider offers various policies ranging from 3, 6, 9 or 12 months, so you can rest-assured you’ll be covered for long periods of time.

24/7 support

i4me is great as they provide policies and a claims system that is completely hassle free. Their claims line is also open 24/7 so you can always get access to support and advice should you require it.


Schofields are industry experts in extended holidays and holiday home insurance.

Unlimited cover

One incredible selling point of Schofields insurance is that you’ll benefit from unlimited buildings and contents cover so you can rest-assured that your home and all your belongings will be protected.

Over 30 years of service

Schofields have also been providing thousands of people with home insurance policies for over 30 years so they’re well established within the industry.


Discount Insurance provide a whole wealth of different types of insurance including pet, landlord and even student insurance! They’re well known for their great extended holiday home insurance too.

Flexible payment options

With discount, you can benefit from flexible payment options that are suited to you, so you can tailor your repayments so that they work for you.

Add-ons available

You also have the option to purchase add-ons to your policy such as emergency home insurance cover so that you’re covered for every eventuality.

Conclusion – home insurance for extended holidays

In summation, there are a lot of things to remember and consider with regards to home insurance for extended holidays. You need to be fully aware of everything that your insurance policy covers in the event of an incident such as theft or water leakage.

Remember to carefully consider your insurance policy and see which will give you the best cover for an extended period of time if you’re planning to be away from your home for a while.

14th November 2018

by Chloe Dickenson

Money Saving Expert blogger, advice guru and money saving advocate, Martin Lewis, is renowned for offering the best advice on a plethora of different money related topics. He’s known for his advice panels, workshops and most importantly, his website titled ‘Money Saving Expert’.

One of his specialities is talking about and helping people with issues such as travel insurance. In this guide, you’ll be able to find out more about Martin Lewis’ best tips and advice when it comes to cruise travel insurance.

What you need to know

Cruise ship holidays are becoming increasingly popular; whether you’re sailing around Italy’s coast for a few days, or you’re embarking on a Mediterranean cruise for two weeks, you need to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for every eventuality.

Many travel insurance policies will cover you for the likes of theft, medical costs and loss of goods while you’re onboard, but there are also other things you may not be covered for, that you didn’t actually realise about.

Extra cover for:

  • Missed departure – due to the likes of poor weather conditions, strike action from airlines and mechanical issues
  • Itinerary change when onboard the cruise – you could be protected against changes onboard the cruise ship due to the likes of itinerary changes
  • Unused cruise excursions such as day trips or events – in case you have to cancel your trip in an emergency or are no longer able to embark upon cruise excursions
  • Cabin confinement – e.g. being confined to your accommodation due to illness or a virus onboard the cruise

In order to get cover for these, you usually just have to select an add-on to your current travel insurance policy. It’s a good idea to check your current policy (if you have one) as you may already be covered via your current provider. If you need to cancel your cruise holiday or if you require medical treatment onboard, then you must ensure that your travel insurance covers you for these eventualities.

If you don’t currently have travel insurance, then there are many ways to choose the best one for you. Take a look at the brief list below which includes Martin’s best recommendations for comparison sites for travel insurance.

Martin’s recommended comparison sites

The below list shows Martin Lewis’ top recommended comparison sites for searching for travel insurance.


MoneySupermarket is one of the leading comparison sites when it comes to all things insurance. Their travel insurance comparison feature allows you to search for policies that are tailored specifically to you.

You can compare quotes for a variety of travel insurance related products, including policies that include cruise travel insurance.

On, you’re able to compare over 50 travel insures who can ensure that you’ll get the best policy for you. offers travel insurance comparisons for the likes of ski holidays, over 50s, pre-existing medical conditions and cruises.


Gocompare are a universally trusted comparison site for a plethora of uses including car insurance, home insurance, broadband and travel insurance.

You’ll be able to search for the best offers and travel insurance policies that fit into your cruise holiday requirements via Gocompare.

Compare The Market

This well-known insurance comparison site has been made popular through their use of Meerkats in their adverts. However, aside from their gimmicky advertisements, Compare The Market still offer great options to browse through when searching for your ideal travel insurance provider.


You can use Which? Guides to find competitive travel insurance policies that are best suited to your needs.

Their website is easy to use, and you can find all the necessary information that you require to make a well-informed decision about the best travel insurance provider for you.

What’s typically included in a standard travel insurance policy?

While there are obviously many different travel insurance providers and policies to choose from, generally speaking, most of them have a similar standard that they adhere to when it comes to covering you while on holiday.

Personal liability

Personal liability covers you in the event that you damage someone else’s possessions or cause accidental injury to someone.

Medical expenses

This part of the travel insurance policy will cover you for any costs that are incurred should you become unwell while away on holiday and require any treatment or medication.

Emergency assistance

If you are injured on your trip and you need to be brought back to the UK, then the emergency assistance part of your policy will cover you.

Cancellation and delays

Sometimes cancellations and delays can occur when going on holiday, including when going on a cruise so it’s important to be covered for the likes of delayed departures or cancellations.

Baggage and belongings

If your possessions or belongings are lost or stolen while you’re away, then you’ll be covered for this with most standard travel insurance policies.

14th November 2018

by Chloe Dickenson

When travelling abroad, the last thing you want to be doing is carrying lots of cash around with you. Loose notes and change can easily be stolen or get lost, and then you may find yourself significantly out of pocket and unable to pay for everything you want to do while on holiday.

Thankfully, there are a number of alternatives to carrying lots of loose cash; one of the best ways is by using the Post Office Travel Money Card.

In this guide, we’ve outlined all the incredible features of the Post Office Travel Money Card, as well as all the benefits of obtaining one and everything you need to know about using one!


The Post Office Travel Money Card comes with a number of amazing features that make it quick, easy and convenient to use almost anywhere in the world.

Mobile app

The Travel Money Card mobile app allows you to do a plethora of different things to aid with your convenience.

You can check the balance on your card, top-up your card and review recent transactions. The mobile app can also be used anywhere in the world, so you can always have the latest information and details of your Travel Money Card at the touch of a button!

Prepaid Mastercard

The Travel Money Card can be used almost anywhere in the world, including in the likes of bars, restaurants and shops. You can use the prepaid card wherever there is a Mastercard Acceptance Mark, which means that it works just like a normal debit card.

Contactless available

With the increasing popularity of technology and digitalisation of the modern world, it seems that almost everywhere is accepting contactless cards nowadays.

One of the great features of the Post Office Travel Money Card is that it’s contactless-enabled which means you can process your transactions even quicker.

UK call centre

If you ever find yourself stuck due to you losing your card or it being stolen, you can rest-assured that the trusty Post Office team will be on hand 24/7 to assist you. They’ll help you with their card replacement services so you’re not without your money for too long.

13 different currencies

The Post Office Travel Money Card allows you to upload 13 different currencies onto your prepaid Mastercard. Currencies include the likes of the Euro, US Dollar, Swiss Franc, UAE Dirham and Pound Sterling just to name a few.


As well as a number of excellent features that the Travel Money Card offers, you can also expect to enjoy a number of benefits by purchasing the card from the Post Office.

Accepted in 36 million locations

One incredible benefit that you can expect to enjoy is that you can use the card in over 36 million locations in over 200 countries around the world.

This allows for incredible flexibility and you don’t have to worry about having the right change in a certain country’s currency; it can already be prepaid and uploaded to your Travel Money Card.

Two million ATMs worldwide

As well as being excepted in over 200 countries, there are also two million ATMs worldwide that you can use your card at to withdraw money and check your balance.

Free card when you load a minimum of £50

Yet another amazing benefit of using the Post Office Travel Money Card is that you don’t actually have to pay for the card itself; you simply upload a minimum of £50 onto your card and then the actual card is free!

What you need to know

Make sure you’re aware of everything before you commit to purchasing your Travel Money Card; here are some useful tips, advice and things you should know.

Post Office Travel App

The Post Office Travel App allows you to do a number of incredible features for your ease of use and convenience, these include:

  • Viewing your recent transactions
  • Purchasing travel insurance from the Post Office
  • Finding your closes ATM
  • Checking your card balance
  • Topping up your card with up to 13 currencies

Ordering your card

There are two ways that you can order your Post Office Travel Money Card; either by applying online or picking one up in your local Post Office branch.

Activating your card

In order to activate your Travel Money Card, you need to do this online once your card has been sent out to you or you’ve collected it from your local branch.

Fees and charges

Unfortunately, you may experience a number of other fees and charges such as:

  • Account closure fee of £5
  • Monthly maintenance fee of £2 – only if you don’t use your card for more than 12 months
  • Load commission of 1.5% for Pound Sterling
  • 3% Cross border fee when you use your currency in any other country that’s not shown as part of the Post Office’s recommendations and most popular currencies

Conclusion – Post Office Travel Money Card

A Post Office Travel Money Card is an excellent item to have when you’re going on holiday or travelling for an extended period of time. It’s so simple and convenient to use and you can rest-assured that the Post Office team will have a new one sent out to you in the event that it’s lost or stolen while you’re abroad.

14th November 2018

by Chloe Dickenson

Royal & Sun Alliance are one of the leading insurance providers in the world, serving over 100 countries with a plethora of different types of insurance. They also underwrite various other insurance providers such as More Than, Tesco and John Lewis.

For more than 305 years, RSA have provided protection and peace of mind to thousands of individuals, families, small and large business corporations.

RSA offer a variety of different types of cover including personal insurance, commercial insurance and pet insurance.

In this guide you’ll find out all about Royal & Sun Alliance’s pet insurance policies and how they can work for you.

Partners of Royal & Sun Alliance pet insurance

  • More Than
  • Argos
  • John Lewis
  • M&S
  • Tesco

What you need to know

When looking to take out pet insurance with RSA, there are a number of things you need to remember and consider. Take a look at the extensive list below for more information on what you need to know.

What exactly is covered?

One of the first (and most important things) to consider when you’re buying your pet insurance from Royal & Sun Alliance, is what exactly you will be covered for with your insurance policy.

Below, you can see the different levels of cover offered by RSA including Accident only, Basic, Classic and Premier. All of these policies will have a standard basis for what they cover with regards to your pet but each one will differ in price, contract length and what exactly you and your pet will be covered for.

You must ensure that your pet is covered for anything you think may cause them harm; things such as emergency cover, dental cover, death from accident plus numerous other things must all be taken into consideration.

Oftentimes, you’ll be able to curate your pet insurance policy so that it perfectly suits the lifestyle of you and your pet.

Length of policy

The length of your pet insurance policy often changes with each insurance provider but most of the umbrella branches of Royal & Sun Alliance all offer a minimum of 12 month policies.

Of course, once the one year is up, you can choose to renew your policy for another 12 months if you feel the need to do so. Many insurance providers will reward their customers who are loyal to their brand and take out policies year after year, and RSA is no exception.

Policy excess fees

Policy excess fees are what you pay towards the cost of a claim with your insurance provider. The different types of excess with also depend on a number of different factors including your type of cover, age and health of your pet. With Royal & Sun Alliance, these can include:

  • Vet fees
  • Third party liability
  • Vet referral excess

How to make a claim

Making a claim through Royal & Sun Alliance pet insurance is remarkably easy. You can choose from a number of different methods when making a claim, including via email, phone call or form submit on their partners’ websites (such as Tesco or More Than).

With the likes of RSA’s partner company, More Than, you can make a claim using their online tool, call up their freephone advice line and track the status of your claim via their website.

It can be good to get both a verbal and written confirmation that your claim has been processed so that you can rest-assured that you’ll be covered for anything your pet needs.

Policy cover levels

Royal & Sun Alliance provide policy cover at many different types of levels; here’s everything you need to know about what you can expect from RSA pet insurance.

  Accident only Basic Classic Premier
Vet fees (up to) ·         See your policy schedule ·         See your policy schedule ·         See your policy schedule ·         See your policy schedule
Treatment period ·         12 months ·         12 months ·         Each condition ·         Each year


Treatment periods from Royal & Sun Alliance pet insurance

When you take out pet insurance with RSA, you can benefit from a number of different policies and treatment periods. Take a look below to see which policy will be the best for you and your pet.

Accident only

  • Treatment for 12 months for each accident, up to a set limit (that you negotiate with RSA)
  • Each accident is covered for 12 months
  • Payments will stop for that accident either when the payment limit is hit, or 12 month period is up


  • Treatment for 12 months for each new medical condition
  • If monetary limit is hit or 12 month period is up (whichever is first), payments will stop for that condition


  • £ limit for each new medical condition
  • Once the limit has been reached, payments will stop


  • Cover for vet fees against illness, disease or injury
  • Limits will be renewed each year as long as you renew your policy with RSA

Other types of RSA policies for you and your pet

  • Death from accident/incident
  • Emergency pet boarding
  • Third party liability
  • Lost and found cover
  • Repeat worming treatment
  • Vet fees

Conclusion – Royal & Sun Alliance pet insurance

Royal & Sun Alliance are a trustworthy and incredibly long-standing insurance provider all over the world. Working with the likes of Tesco, Argos and More Than, RSA have been providing their insurance services for over 300 years!

When it comes to their pet insurance policies, you can rest assured that you’ll be getting the best value for your money as well as the means to obtain the best cover possible for you and your pet.